Thursday 17 January 2013

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Both my sons ages 5 and 7 desperately wanted to be their favorite Lego Ninjago Characters for Halloween this year so they asked me if I could help them out. I was a little apprehensive at first but after searching the web I found many online tutorials with detailed instructions on how to go about making a lego minifig costume. Some of the better ones were found right here at instructables.com. The trick to pulling it off is getting the proportions right so that it looks like a proper lego minifig. So make sure to take proper measurements and use an actual minifig as reference.  I started with the heads, you can find many tutorials on this method online. Measure the size of your kids head (don't forget the ears) then I cut a bunch of circles from a sheet of styrofoam insulation which was found at my local big box hardware store. The amount of circles will depend on the thickness of your styrofoam. Then cut ovals out of the circles, this is where your kids head goes, remember those measurements we took? Then carefully glue the circles together and let it dry. Once dry, shape the head using a knife, saw, chisel, whatever just make it look like a minifig head. This will be messy so be sure to have a shop vac handy. After that sand it down (styrofoam sands very well) then paint it and let it dry. For the torso I basically made a box out of cardboard. I taped the pieces of cardboard together using double-sided window insulation tape, this can be found at most dollar stores and works well. I painted the boxes using craft paint (also found at the dollar store).

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

Ninjago Costumes

No comments:

Post a Comment